November 25, 2012

Revisiting The Pirate (1948)


I don't know what it is with me not liking some films the first time around and then revisiting them because I can't get them out of my mind, and then falling in love with them which I should have done in the first place. One of the reasons being is watching a movie while drowsy and not focusing correctly. Being in the right frame of mind helps too.

This has happened way too much over the past couple of weeks (not complaining). For example: The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, and now The Pirate with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.

When I first watched it I thought it was a silly, somewhat stupid movie that I couldn't believe that the main actors actually took part in (because I love them so) until I returned to it well over a year later and became absolutely entranced. I realized (upon actually doing some "research" which I should have done the first time around) that the movie itself was intended as a farce/take on silent Douglas Fairbanks films and the likes from that era. I also see that even Gene Kelly himself said it took people 20 years to finally get it.

It didn't take me that long but falling head over heels in love with a movie like this makes you appreciate your love for films even more. I have not see the other Kelly and Garland pairings but I will be pretty soon. It's over the top in dramatics and comedy timing but it's suppose to be and Gene Kelly falling instantly in love with Manuela (Garland) and trying so desperately to make her admit that she loves him too is my favorite aspect of the film.

My original rating was 3/5 stars, now it's 5/5 (or 10/10, whatever you prefer).

1 comment:

Chloe Greene said...


Thanks for the recommendation. I will look out for it. I have never watched it but, like you, I adore Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.
I'll make sure I'm in the right frame of mind when I watch it.